Wednesday, July 5, 2017

TONALIST PAINTING Lesson #1 Part 3 -How to approach making a Tonalist painting and how think like a Tonalist painter.

Lesson # 3
How to approach making a Tonalist painting and how think like a Tonalist painter.
Try on this hat!

1) Look for the notan structure( light and dark pattern) in the painting or if in nature from life.


 by artist Teri Canelle Eramo



2) Make a SIMPLIFIED thumb nail sketch of the pattern in two values (9)

3)Look at the thumbnail sketch not for the "objects" in the scene but for the strong dark and light design.
  • Ask these compositional questions: Each answer is worth chances
  • a)How is the design the same or different than the source?(2)
  • b)Do the variations alter the impact of the source? (2)
  • c)In what way?(2)
  • d) Are the compositional elements similar or dissimilar? (2)
  • e)Compare the movement of the eye as you gaze at the source and the thumbnail.(2)
  • f)Do I like my thumbnail better?(2)
  • g)Why?(2)
  • h)What gives the source its appeal and power? (4)
  • I)If I don't like my thumbnail better what can I do to alter the dark and light structure so it has the same power as the source? (5)
Fill in the form below and email or text me an image of your thumbnail. (9)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel welcome to place your message here.